Cats are intelligent, sensitive, playful as well as standoffish. Our feline friends are certainly moody when they want to be. One thing is for certain cats are not immune to health issues. One of the reasons why cats like to be around flowers is because they are curious and they also like the taste many plants come with. The problem is that not all plants are cat friendly and some have toxins that can make your cat sick or end its life.
PS. Find out if Siamese cats can purr here 🙂
Signs of Toxic Poisoning in Your Cat
Like any other disease or health issue, there are signs letting you know that your cat ate a part of a plant that is not friendly to him or her. Of course, how sick your cat gets depends on the type of plant that they ate from and how toxic it is.
Here are some of the signs that let you know that your cat ate from the forbidden plants:
- Your cat’s mouth is sore and irritated
- Your pet emits too much saliva
- You will see a lot of vomit around the house or see your cat vomiting a lot
- You will also see a lot of diarrhea on your floors, patio or in your yard
- Your cat may experience liver or kidney trouble
- Excessive drinking and urinating
- Difficulty breathing
- Fast, slow or irregular heartbeat and weakness
Also, some of the ailments your pet receives from eating from the wrong plant may be irreversible. Additionally, they may get heart trouble, neurological problems, seizures and unfortunately die.
One word of caution though. Those signs may not present themselves right away and be delayed enough where treatment may not help them at all.
Flowers That are Toxic to Cats
Now that you ow the signs of your cat eating from a plant that i snot healthy for them, here is a list of those plants you should not have in your home when you own a cat.
- Autumn Crocus
- Azaleas and Rhododendrons
- Castor Bean
- English Ivy
- Lily of the Valley
- Peace Lily
- Pothos, Devil’s Ivy
- Sago Palm
- Spanish Thyme
The Best Bet is to Not Have Them in Your Home
The key in keeping plants away from your cat is to conclude that if one part of the plant is toxic to your cat, then all parts are toxic to your pet. There is no middle or safe ground in his issue. The only exception to that conclusion would be the amount of toxins in each part of the plant. It is hard to know the big or small the concentration of the toxins will be in those different areas of the plant. Plus, each plant is different in their toxic amounts.
Steps to take when seeing your cat eat a possible toxic plant
- First, remove any plant material form his or her mouth
- Second, quarantine your pet and monitor its behavior.
- Third, make sure you know the type of plant and its name
- Fourth, call your local pet poisoning center or your vet for help
Try to Identify the Plant and Take Your Cat to the Vet
Knowing the type of plant your cat ate from is very essential if you want your vet to provide the right treatment. But if you are not sure which plant he or she ate from, tests will be conducted to identify the plant and the toxin.
Whatever you do not delay getting your pet help. Delaying treatment, which can be different medications, fluids, etc., can lead your pet’s demise. Also, you may have to remove those plants from your home even if they were a romantic gift.
Cats may not be like dogs, but they are great companions. They also make great pets as they are easier to care for than their canine counterparts. But they need just as much care and protection as dogs require. Keeping your home free from plants that are toxic to your pet is just one step in the right care and protection direction. Having a safe home environment means you will have a happy and healthy cat